Go to Chapter 5
Go back to Chapter 3
Return to Chapter Index
Chapter 4 - An icy battle
Exa opened his eyes. He didn't sleep much, but he got used to it. But what he saw first, wasn't so ordinary. Two of the dolls which he saw yesterday flew into the room with a tray.
- Aaaaahhhh! I can't believe it! - he screamed.
- Please, scream more quietly, I want to sleep a bit more - answered Chrono.
- But... the dolls are flying!
- I don't care... wait, what did you say?
- Look, the dolls are flying! These are not ordinary dolls!
Chrono opened his eyes, too, and realized what Exa was talking about. ' That must be some twisted trick, or some hidden mechanics. ' - Chrono was still very frustrated. That was the time when the girl entered the room.
- What is the problem? - she asked.
- About... the dolls... - said Exa and pointed to the two dolls which were still in the room.
- Don't worry, they are Shanghai and Hourai, and they brought the breakfast to your room, that's why they were there. Anyway, I forgot to introduce myself yesterday. I'm Alice Margatroid.
- I'm Exa Thundercloud, and he is my friend, Chrono Megumi. - answered Exa.
- And how the hell can these dolls move? - asked Chrono.
- By magic, of course! - she smiled.
- So, are these animated dolls? - Exa was curious.
- You can say that.
- You know, in our world, mages create animated golems from different materials (wood, stone, even iron). These golems look like huge statues. They are durable, and have high power, but they are slow. But your dolls are fast and small. Can you use them for fighting? - Yes, my dolls can use weapons, magic, and sometimes they can be used for explosive attacks.
- Like an all-round figther/mage.
- I don't want to interrupt your conversation, but we need to go now. - Chrono was impatient because he wanted to get to book as soon as possible. 'Exa, eat your breakfast and let's go!'
- All right. Then we will continue this later, when we would have more time.
Exa and Chrono ate the food, and said goodbye to Alice. Fortunately, after a short time, they left the forest, and reached a lake.
- This must be the lake we need. - said Exa.
- Yes, we fly over it, go to the mansion, and in the library, we get the book! Piece of cake! - Chrono was excited.
- But how can we get the book?
- That's simple, you'll start a conversation with the librarian - it seems that you can talk a lot - and I'll steal the book.
- We should borrow it, not steal it.
- No way! I don't think they lend it to us. Anyway, if things would be that easy, Marisa could borrow the book, too.
- Hm... maybe you're right. But should we trick them? If they realize that, they'll never trust us anymore.
- That's not a problem. We don't need to meet them anymore after we get the book.
- This will end up in a big trouble... - Exa sighs.
They started to fly over the lake, but it was very cold there. ' No way, that chilly wind again. ' - thought Exa. But the wind was not the only problem. After a while, another fairy appeared.
- Where do you want to go? - she asked.
- We don't have time to talk. We're in a hurry! - answered Chrono.
- Again "heroes" who try to save Gensokyo?
- Mind your own business!
- He-he-he... that's not how things go!
- And a fairy wants to regiment us? Ridiculous!
- I'm not an average fairy, I'm Cirno, the ice fairy!
- So... did you cause th..that cold? - asked Exa.
- Who else? - she laughed. 'Now, turn back or I'll freeze you both!'
- No way! I don't fear a small fairy! - shouted Chrono, and threw some kunais to Cirno. However, she avoided the attack, and started to summon icicles. Exa was concentrated on defense - because he was still suffered from cold - but Chrono acted fast, and managed to damage the fairy. But after that, Cirno summoned more icicles, and these shots started to surround Exa and Chrono. This attack was Ice Sign "Icicle Fall".
- Hehehe, you can't survive this! - laughed Cirno.
- Shut up, you fool! - Chrono was very impatient, and he used his Multiple Throw skill, but he forgot to think about avoiding. Some icicles hurt him. 'You have made me very angry! VERY angry indeed! '- he shouted.
- Wait, Chrono, go in front of her! - said Exa.
- Are you crazy?
- No, but I realized she only shot a few icicles in front of her. Therefore, you can avoid easier.
In that moment, Exa moved, too, and casted Sparks. With the combination of Chrono's skill, and the strategy he just realized, they managed to break through the spell.
- Not bad, not bad, but I'll show my true power now! - said Cirno, and shot even more shots, and these shots were frozen after a while, and started to move all the way. That was Cirno's signature move, Freeze Sign "Perfect Freeze".
- Chrono, concentrate on your defense, and I'll shock her! - told Exa to Chrono.
- Are you sure that'll work? You're still slow because of the cold! - answered Chrono.
- Don't worry, I can do this!
- All right! - answered Chrono.
Exa still moved slow, but since most of the attacks are went to Chrono, he managed to avoid the shots. Chrono had a harder time, but with his ninja skills, he could evade every shots. Finally, Exa reached the fairy, and shot an unavoidable Lighting Bolt to her. - Geez, that's impossible! How can you avoid that? - Cirno started to whine.
- We worked as a team! - Exa winked.
- I don't care! I'll be the winner! - the ice fairy was still self-confident, and used her final spell, Snow Sign "Diamond Blizzard".
With this, she could summon a huge amount of icy shots. However, these shots went to random directions - in fact, she couldn't control that many icicles.
- Arghhh, I'm really fed up with this stupid girl! - Chrono started to lose his nerve. He charged to the fairy, in the hope he could finish the fight in one strike. But there are too many shots there, some of them almost hit Chrono, when a Lighting Aura surrounded him, and the icicles couldn't break through this.
- Thank you! - said Chrono to Exa.
- That's natural from a friend! - winked Exa. 'Now, finish her!'
Exa's Lighting Bolt and Chrono's new skill, Shadow Slash (Note: he could use that from that point because of the fury) had been combinated to the powerful "Spark Slash". The battle was over, the ice fairy couldn't resist this!
- I... can't... believe... it! Take this! And this! And this! - Cirno couldn't bear the defeat, and started to throw frozen frogs to Exa and Chrono.
Exa went to Cirno, and grabbed her arm.
- Calm down! That anger makes you hot, and I'm sure that won't be good for you. Relax a bit, you'll need that now. - Exa smiled. The little ice fairy stopped, and after a while, she flew away.
- Why didn't you kill her? She attacked us! - asked Chrono.
- We didn't come to Gensokyo to kill people. Anyway, let's go to the Scarlet Devil Mansion! - answered Exa.
- Good idea!
After a while, Exa and Chrono finally reached the mansion. The true quest has just begun...
Go to Chapter 5
Go back to Chapter 3
Return to Chapter Index