- Return to Sengoku Gensokyo
Warning: This section may contain spoilers.
Notable Characters: This section lists any characters that appear in the territory and special requirements necessary to recruit them, if needed.
Pre-Battle Events: A list of events against the characters in that territory that can be viewed by deploying certain characters against them.
- Reimu: Begins the game under your control. Her leaving your army results in a game over. Well rounded character but will probably be pressed into a melee role early on to balance out Marisa.
- Hakurei Descendant – Can nullify certain special abilities and bonuses and penalties while fighting other races. Don’t be surprised when she gets hit by a special ability anyway.
- Marisa: Begins the game under your control. Fast and hard hitting from range, with low defensive and melee stats.
- Master Spark – A ranged attack that hits multiple targets. Stuns Marisa, leaving her unable to act for two rounds. The fact that it doesn’t activate until her next action makes it much less useful.
- Suika – Requires special recruitment, see her events below. High melee and defense, with other stats hovering in the middle.
- Pandemonium – Hits multiple targets with a melee attack. Like master spark, but activates immediately. Very effective.
- Wriggle: Captured upon defeating the Youkai Army. Mediocre stats except a good RES score, can be turned into whatever sort of you unit you have need of.
- Eternal Night Hermit – Whenever she attacks, she has a chance of inflicting a poison that causes the enemy to lose HP each turn. Triggers quite often.
- Mystia: Becomes a freelancer upon defeat of Youkai Army. Decent RNG, DEF/WIS, and NEG stats.
- Maddening Song – Makes all damage random until her next turn.
- Rumia: Becomes a freelancer upon defeat of Youkai Army. Mediocre stats, suggest increasing MEL to take advantage of Darkness ability.
- Darkness – Takes less damage overall, and no counterattack damage when in melee combat.
Forest of Magic
- Alice: Captured upon conquering the Forest of Magic. Strong range attack as well as good NEG and RES scores for negotiation and development.
- Doll Manipulation – Increases the stats of dolls deployed with Alice. This ability makes her a good match up with Medicine.
- Shanghai: Captured upon conquering the Forest of Magic. High melee attack skill.
- Dolls War – Damages and decreases the speed of one enemy. Good for hamstringing fast enemy units.
- Hourai: Captured upon conquering the Forest of Magic. Decent ranged attack score.
- Artful Sacrifice – Sacrifice a large portion of Hourai’s health to heal all friendly units.
- Deploy Medicine against Alice in the Magic Forest Interior
- Shikieiki: Captured upon the conquering of Muenzuka. High ranged attack and ranged defense, as well as a good NEG skill.
- Yama’s Judgement – Chance to stun one enemy and may also reduce their stats. This ability can be completely resisted.
- Komachi: Becomes a freelancer upon the defeat of Muenzuka. High melee attack skill, decent defense and speed.
- Higan Ferrier – Chance of instantly KO’ing one enemy. Unreliable attack.
- Deploy Youmu against Komachi at the Road of Reconsideration.
- Keine: Captured upon the fall of the Human Village. Great all around stats except for a mediocre speed. She can be developed into whatever sort of character you want her to be.
- History Concealer – Stuns Keine, but increases the DEF of all allies. Extremely useful when facing a strong melee army.
- Ayku: Captured upon the fall of the Human Village. Low all around stats except for NEG.
- Chronices – Halves the target enemy’s DEF and WIS. Can be fully resisted. Great for making strong enemies vulnerable.
- Aya: Certain events must be met to capture Aya. See the character events below for details. Great ranged attack power and speed, with all other stats except DEF being very good as well. Increasing her speed and range to 10+ will give you a very powerful character that can attack multiple times in rapid succession.
- Wind God’s Fan – Special melee attack that puts her at far distance from an enemy. Makes up for her low DEF by giving her an easy out when under melee attack.
- Deploy Marisa against Aya. Note above that this meeting is necessary to eventually capture and recruit Aya.
- Yuyuko: Captured upon the fall of Hakugyokurou. High combat and defensive stats, so she can be effective at both melee and range attacks, but this is countered by a low speed score.
- Invitation to Death – Can cut multiple enemies HP in half. This attack can hit several targets or no targets, unreliable.
- Youmu: Captured upon the fall of Hakugyokurou. High MEL and SPD, but low defenses. She can be a melee glass cannon.
- Blade Flash – Closes to close distance with target and performs a melee attack at any range. This can be used to start Youmu far away from all targets and to charge her in at a target of opportunity at the start of the battle, allowing you to avoid damage to Youmu and take out a key enemy character.
- Lunasa Prismriver: Becomes a freelancer after Hakugyokurou is defeated. Decent stats in almost all categories, but is best in melee combat. Low speed is her only drawback.
- Melancholy Music – Decreases enemy stats randomly.
- Lyrica Prismriver: Becomes a freelancer after Hakugyokurou is defeated. Mediocre stats except for a high SPD and NEG. However, she can heal your troops which is a rare and valuable skill.
- Fantastical Rhythms – Heals your troops continuously each turn once cast, at the cost of stunning Lyrica.
- Merlin Prismriver: Becomes a freelancer after Hakugyokurou is defeated. Good at ranged combat, but low defensive scores.
- Maniacal Music – Randomly increases allies stats.
- Lily White: Becomes a freelancer after Hakugyokurou is defeated. Annihilate your enemies with the power of spring. (Low stats in everything but ranged attack power).
- Spring Awakening – Randomly buffs enemies and allies. Use it and cheer your luck or curse your misfortune.
- Deploy Eirin against Youmu at the Hakugyokurou Stairs.
- Deploy Komachi against Youmu at the Hakugyokurou Stairs.
- Deploy Mystia against Merlin at the Blossoms Barrier.
- Deploy Sunny against Lily White at the Blossoms Barrier.
- After capturing Hakugyokurou, you will have to fight a powered up Yuyuko that draws power from the Saigyou Ayakashi and confronts all of your troops at once.
- You will be required to select five troops to enter battle against Yuyuko. For this battle, you have unlimited counter to work with.
- Troops defeated here will not leave your army, and if someone is KOd during the battle a another unit will take their place.
- Yuyuko is much tougher here. She has high defenses and attack power. In addition, the lack of a combat counter means she will use her special over and over, constantly halving multiple troops HP and then finishing them off with one attack.
- Debuff her defense if you can and throw troops into the grinder. Depending on when you challenge Yuyuko, this battle can be extremely tough.
- Expect to spend a lot of money healing your troops after this.
- Chen: Captured upon fall of Yakumo Clan. High Speed, but other stats are very mediocre.
- Shiki Possession - Randomly changes Chen’s stats each turn.
- Ran: Captured upon fall of Yakumo Clan. All stats are high, a very well rounded character.
- Dakini’s Possession – Increases all of the users stats.
- Yukari: Captured upon fall of Yakumo Clan, but will not accept recruitment unless you complete all of the events listed below. Excellent stats except a midrange speed.
- Yakumo Frays – Attacks against a targets WIS score. Also randomly lowers the targets stats.
- Deploy Reisen against Chen.
- Deply Mokou against Ran.
- Deploy Reimu against Yukari, Note above that this meeting is necessary to eventually recruit Yukari.
- Deploy Eiki against Yukari.
- Deploy Suika against Yukari.
Doll Liberation Front
- Medicine: Captured after defeating the Doll Liberation Front. Middle line stats across the board, but can still be useful with the right upgrades.
- Suzuran Poison – Decreases the stats of enemies who attack her in melee combat.
- Yuuka: Captured after defeating the Doll Liberation Front. High combat stats, ok defensive stats.
- Violent Blooming – Increases attack power of all allies. Very potent buff.
- Deploy Alice against Medicine – Note, this event is important so make sure to view it.
- Deploy Shanghai Doll or Hourai Doll against Medicine
- Deploy Wriggle against Yuuka
- Deploy Reimu against Yuuka
- Kaguya: Captured with the fall of Eientei. Good attack and defense characteristics.
- Instant Eternity – Decreases the enemy counter by a random amount.
- Eirin: Captured with the fall of Eientei. Good all around stats, with an emphasis on ranged combat.
- Eirin’s Medicine – Completely heals an ally, but decreases their stats. Still a great ability.
- Reisen: Captured with the fall of Eientei, provided you see all of her special events listed below. High range and speed.
- Lunatic Eyes – Attacks aimed at Reisen have a 25% chance of hitting another ally instead. This ability can either help you or get you into trouble.
- Tewi: Becomes a freelancer upon the fall of Eientei. Low combat and defense stats, high RES and NEG stats.
- Luck Prankster – Reverses the battle status when used. Turn crisis into opportunity!
- Mokou: Captured after taking the Hidden House. High combat stats, mediocre defense (but that’s ok!)
- Resurrection – Has a chance of being restored to full HP upon KO. This ability has a decent chance of going off.
- Deploy Reimu against Tewi in the Lost Bamboo Forest.
- Deploy Eiki against Reisen in the Lost Bamboo Forest. Note above, this event is necessary to Recruit Reisen later.
- Deploy Keine against Mokou at the Hidden House.
- Deploy Mokou against Kaguya in Eientei.
- Deploy Youmu against Eirin in Eientei.
Strongest Fairy Army
- Cirno: Captured after taking the Lake. Somewhat low stats, certainly not the strongest…
- Perfect Freeze – Randomly damages enemies and has a chance to lower their speed.
- Letty Whiterock: Captured after taking the Lake. Midline combat and defense stats.
- Cold Arrival – Decreases the speed of everyone but her.
- Daiyousei: Captured after taking the lake. Low all round stats except speed.
- Teleport – Teleports one ally to very far range from a random enemy. As useful as it sounds.
- Sunny Milk: Becomes a freelancer after the Strongest Fairy Army is defeated. Low stats except for melee. Good special ability.
- Light Prisms – Ignores damage from ranged attacks. Very rarely fails to activate.
- Luna Child: Becomes a freelancer after the Strongest Fairy Army is defeated. Low stats except RNG and RES. Good special ability.
- Silent Area – Ignores damage from melee attacks. Very rarely fails to activate. Luna is exceptional at stopping enemy melee units from engaging your ranged units.
- Star Sapphire: Becomes a freelancer after the Strongest Fairy Army is defeated. Low combat stats, high WIS, SPD, and RES.
- Animate Detection – Swings the battle status to the advantage of the user. Good for offensive battles you expect to be close.
Crimson Scarlet Devil Mansion (SDM)
Notable Characters: (All Characters are captured when the Crimson SDM is defeated.
- Remilia: High melee and speed. Other stats are ok but not great.
- Strings of Fate – Increases capture rate of enemies after battles. Extremely useful.
- Sakuya: High all round stats, including RES and NEG.
- Time Manipulation – Lowers the turn order of one enemy, moving their action back.
- Patchouli: High ranged attack and defense, lousy everything else.
- Royal Flare – Multi-target ranged attack that reduces Patchy to ¼ life. Not worth it in most cases.
- Meiling: High melee, speed, and defense. Not the best, not the worst.
- Chi Meditation – Increase her stats and heals her.
- Koakuma: Medoicre stats at best.
- Cute Trickster – Randomizes the turn order for everyone but her. Nice if you get her at the end of a block of your characters actions.
- Flandre: Excellent melee and speed. Very low defense, she will die extremely fast.
- Eye of Materiality – Halves the defense of one enemy. Can 1 hit knock out, but often fails.
- Deploy Yuuka against Meiling at the SDM Gate
- Deploy Lily White against Meiling at the SDM Gate
- Deploy Marisa against Patchouli in the Great Library - Note, this event is important so make sure to view it.
- Deploy Alice against Patchouli in the Great Library - Note, this event is important so make sure to view it.
- Deploy Rumia against Remilia on the SDM Top Floor
These characters begin the game as freelancers.
- Mayberry Hearn: Bad stats, high RES score. Use her for the special ability.
- Healing Prayer – Heals all allies. Very useful ability.
- Renko Usami: High range defense and RES score.
- Rally – Increases all allies stats. Generic ability.
- Mima: High melee, decent speed, mediocre stats otherwise.
- Eternal Dream – Can stun any number of enemy opponents. Nasty.
Makai Goddess Army
- Shinki: High stats across the board, with an emphasis on ranged combat.
- Bind Bullet – Chance to stun all enemies and lower their speed.
- Yumeko: High stats with an emphasis on melee combat and speed.
- Dagger Dance – Hits all enemies at close and very close range. This attack causes lots of damage and can even KO multiple low defense people if you let her close range.
- Young Alice: Low stats except for ranged combat and defense, with a decent RES score.
- Mirror Puppet – Has a chance to attack again after attacking at lower attack power (yeah right). Can be chained 3 or 4 times to turn one attack into a disaster for the enemy or you.
- Yuki: 5’s across the board except for a 6 in melee.
- Twin Witch - Increase all stats when Mai is in the same group.
- Mai: Emphasis on speed and range.
- Double Witch – Increase stats when Yuki is not in the same group.
- Louise: Mostly 5’s for stats, but a 6 in ranged attack.
- Cross Shot – Can hit multiple far and very far enemies when attacking.
- Sara: Emphasis on melee combat and defense.
- Gate Protector – Increases defense in defensive battles.
- Deploy Eiki against Louise in Muenzuka.
- Deploy Yuyuko against Sara in Hakugyokurou.
- Deploy Meiling against Sara in Hakugyokurou.
- Deploy Kaguya against Yuki or Mai at Eientei.
- Deploy Cirno against Yuki or Mai at Eientei.
- Deploy Alice against Young Alice in the Magic Forest Interior.
- Deploy Sakuya against Yumeko at the SDM Top Floor.
- Deploy Remilia against Yumeko at the SDM Top Floor.
- Deploy Reimu against Shinki at the Hakurei Shrine.
- Deploy Marisa against Shinki at the Hakurei Shrine.
- Deploy Yuuka against Shinki at the Hakurei Shrine.
- Deploy Alice against Shinki at the Hakurei Shrine.
- Defeat and recruit Shikieiki.
- Watch an event between Shikieiki and Yukari at the shrine.
- Lose a battle with Reimu present.
- See the event with Alice and Medicine while at war with the Doll Liberation Front.
- Raise your affection rating with Yuuka and Medicine after recruiting them.
- You should now be able to select her event from the events menu.
Humans and Magicians
- Deploy Alice against Patchouli in the Library.
- Deploy Marisa against Patchouli in the Library.
- Defeat Crimson SDM, and recruit Patchouli once she is your prisoner.
- Obtain affection bonuses for all three characters.
- An event should be selectable from the events menu.
Aya (Events and Recruitment)
- Wait for Aya to join the Human Village.
- See an event where Aya delivers a newspaper to Reimu.
- Deploy Marisa in a battle against Aya at the village.
- Wait for an event to trigger at the village where the Aya and the humans argue until they eventually beat her at a game.
- Aya can now be captured with Keine and Akyu when the village is conquered.
Reisen (Events and Recruitment)
- See the conversation between Shikieiki and Reisen in the Bamboo Forest.
- Conquer the Bamboo Forest and see Reisen leave the army.
- Attack Eientei and wait for Reisen to return to the army.
- She will now be taken prisoner upon the defeat of Eientei.
Feast Events (Suika Recruitment)
- See Reimu events above.
- Recruit Medicine, she may be dismissed afterwards.
- First event: Recruit 15 unique characters.
- Second event: Recruit 18 unique characters.
- Third event: Recruit 20 unique characters.
- You should now be able to select the feast trap event from the events menu.
- Fight and defeat Suika
- You can now persuade her to join your army.
- These events are necessary for both a different game ending and recruiting Yukari.
Yukari (Events and Recriutment)
- Recruit Suika.
- Deploy Reimu against Yukari.
- Defeat Yakumo Clan.
- You can now persuade Yukari to join.