When viewing an Item in the inventory, you have a number of commands you can perform. These differ based on the kind of item. These commands are also available when standing on top of an item. The following are the possible commands.
- Equip (装備) - Equips the item, which takes a turn. This is the only command that is displayed for items on the ground while not actually being able to be used on it. It will respond that you cannot equip the item on the ground, and does not use up your turn. Only Swords and Shields can be Equipped.
- Invoke (発動) - Performs the effects of a Spellcard. This may immediately perform the action, or prompt you to select an item. Only Spellcards can be Invoked.
- Paste (貼る) - When selected, prompts you to select a Sword or Shield. This attaches the Spellcard onto it, and provides a passive effect. Only Spellcards can be Pasted.
- Eat (食べる) - Consumes an item. Eating always fills Momiji's stomach, and usually fills some Spirit Power. Only Riceballs and Herbs can be Eaten.
- Wave (振る) - Uses a Wand to fire its projectile. Only Wands can be Waved.
- Throw (投げる) - Throws an item in the direction Momiji faces. It has no limit on range, just like any other projectile. A thrown item will land on the ground if it doesn't hit an enemy. If there is already something on the floor, it will push itself to an adjacent spot. If there are no adjacent spots within a 5x5 square of the impact, it will fall into a gap. Different items have different effects when thrown. All items can be Thrown.
- Drop (置く) - Only for items in Momiji's inventory. Drops the item onto the floor where Momiji is standing. Momiji cannot Drop when standing on top of anything. All items can be Dropped.
- Swap - Only for items in Momiji's inventory. Replaces the Drop command if Momiji is standing on an item. It is the same as Drop, except it also takes the item currently on the ground, and puts it in the inventory in the spot where the first item was.
- Pick Up - Only for items on the ground. It is always the first option. Picks it up and puts it in Momiji's inventory. This takes up a turn. All items can be Picked Up.
Swords (剣) and Shields (盾)
Basic equipment that is essential to survival. They look exactly like Swords and Shields respectively. When equipped, Swords increase the damage Momiji does with her melee attack, while Shields reduce most forms of damage. An example sword is 剣(14:23). Shields have a similar format. The first number is the item's Strength, while the second is the item's Spirit Power. An equipped item has an E next to it.
Swords and Shields can be Equipped, Thrown, Dropped, Swapped, and Picked Up.
The Strength of the equipment is how powerful it is. So, a Sword with 15 increases damage much greater than a Sword with only 6. The Strength of equipment generated in the dungeon is a number from 5-15, plus the current dungeon floor. Also, thrown equipment does fixed damage equal to the Strength.
The Spirit Power of equipment determines how many Spellcards can be pasted to it. Each card pasted subtracts its cost from the item's Spirit Power. The default value is randomly generated between 10 and 50. Naturally, higher Spirit Power means more Spellcards can be pasted. You can paste more Spellcards than the Spirit Power allows, but this reverses the power of the item. Swords will do much less damage with negative Spirit Power, while Shields with negative Spirit Power will increase the damage Momiji takes.
An item with Spellcards pasted on it is displayed in yellow. The current cards pasted to equipment is displayed at the bottom of the screen when viewing the inventory. Up to 5 visible cards can be pasted, and each is identified by a specific character and the cost of the card. Pressing the Menu button when highlighting a Sword or Shield will give the details on the effects of the pasted cards.
Riceballs which recover hunger. They look like riceballs. They are essential to preventing starvation, and Momiji begins the game with a large one. They can be Eaten, Thrown, Dropped, Swapped, and Picked Up. Throwing a Riceball does 2 damage. There are two kinds of riceballs.
- おにぎり (Riceball) - Recovers 50 Hunger and 20 Spirit Power. If Momiji eats it when full, it recovers 20 Spirit Power and boosts her maximum Hunger by 2 points.
- 大きいおにぎり (Big Riceball) - Recovers 100 Hunger and 30 Spirit Power. If Momiji eats it when full, it recovers 30 Spirit Power and boosts her Maximum Hunger by 4 points.
Grasses and plants that have mysterious effects. They look like a green leaf. The primary benefit of herbs are the special effects they cause. They can be Eaten, Thrown, Dropped, Swapped, and Picked Up. Eating an herb recovers 10 Spirit Power normally, and a small amount of Hunger. Thrown herbs do not cause damage, but instead bestow their special effect on the target. There are 15 kinds of herbs.
- 薬草 (Medicinal Herb) - Recovers 50 HP when eaten, or increases the maximum by 2 if at maximum HP. When thrown at an enemy, it heals her unless she is Yuyuko, in which case she is killed instantly.
- 回復草 (Recovery Herb) - Recovers all of Momiji's HP when eaten, or increases the maximum by 4 if at maximum HP. When thrown at an enemy, it heals her unless she is Yuyuko, in which case she is killed instantly.
- 霊草 (Spirit Herb) - Recovers all of Momiji's Spirit Power when eaten. When thrown at an enemy, it inflicts her with Power Up for 30 turns. It has a special effect with some Spellcards.
- 鈴蘭草 (Suzuran/Lily of the Valley) - Inflicts Poison (for 30 turns) and Slow (for 5 turns) if eaten. It has a similar effect on enemies when thrown, except the Slow is permanent. It has a special effect with some Spellcards.
- 暴草 (Wild Herb) - Inflicts Lunatic for 30 turns if eaten. Same effect when thrown at an enemy. It has special effects with some Spellcards.
- 天狗草 (Tengu Herb) - Inflicts Haste for 10 turns if eaten. It has a similar effect on enemies when thrown, except the Haste is permanent. It has a special effect with some Spellcards.
- 万能草 (Panacea) - Removes all status ailments that are affecting Momiji if eaten. Same to enemies when thrown.
- 霊尽草 - Recovers no Spirit Power, and in fact completely depletes it, if eaten. When thrown at an enemy, it inflicts her with Seal (permanent) and Power Down (for 30 turns).
- 痺れ草 (Paralyze Herb) - Inflicts Paralyze for 30 turns if eaten. Same effect when thrown at an enemy.
- 混乱草 (Confuse Herb) - Inflicts Confuse for 10 turns if eaten. Same effect when thrown at an enemy.
- 冬眠草 (Hibernation Herb) - Inflicts Sleep for 5 turns if eaten. Same effect when thrown at an enemy.
- 鳥目草 (Bird's Eye Herb) - Inflicts Blind for 30 turns if eaten. Same effect when thrown at an enemy.
- 転移草 (Warp Herb) - Warps Momiji to a random room if eaten. Warps the enemy if thrown.
- 目薬草 (Eyedrop) - Recovers Blind when eaten, and gives Momiji sight of all traps in the current floor. When thrown at an enemy, it cures her blindness if any.
- 火炎草 (Fire Herb) - When eaten, Momiji breaths a blast of flame forward, which hits one enemy in shooting range for 60-69 damage (PC-98 Alice can reflect this flame). If thrown at an enemy, she will breath fire at Momiji instead (BAD IDEA).
Sticks and staves that can cast magic. They look like a brown stick with a green gem. A Wand can be Waved, Thrown, Dropped, Swapped, and Picked Up. Each Wand has a unique unidentified name, which is displayed in yellow. When used, that Wand and all future Wands of that type are partially identified, with the name displayed in green. If the Wand has been used, a negative number in brackets indicates how many charges have been used (i.e. 場所替えの杖[-2] has been used twice). If identified (via Keine, Patchouli, or attempting to use an empty wand), the name is displayed in white, with the actual number of uses remaining shown in brackets (i.e. 場所替えの杖 has two charges left).
Wands are generated with a random number of charges between 3 and 5. You can activate the Wand by Waving it. This uses up one charge and some of Momiji's Spirit Power to fire a projectile forwards. It automatically hits an enemy in shooting range. PC-98 Alice can reflect this shot, and this is the only way to hit yourself with a Waved Wand. When the Wand is empty, attempting to Wave it wastes a turn, but fully identifies a partially identified Wand (as having 0 charges, of course). Wands do not do damage when thrown, and instead cause the same effect as if Waved (minus the automatic hit). There are 12 kinds of wands.
- 封印の杖 (Seal Wand) - Inflicts Seal (permanent on enemies, 30 turns on Momiji).
- 痺れの杖 (Paralyze Wand) - Inflicts Paralyze for 20 turns.
- 混乱の杖 (Confuse Wand) - Inflicts Confuse for 10 turns.
- 眠りの杖 (Sleep Wand) - Inflicts Sleep for 3 turns.
- ワープの杖 (Warp Wand) - Warps the target to a random room.
- 弱化の杖 (Weakness Wand) - Inflicts Power Down for 30 turns.
- 低速の杖 (Slow Wand) - Inflicts Slow (permanent on enemies, 5 turns on Momiji).
- 強化の杖 (Powerful Wand) - Inflicts Power Up for 30 turns.
- 高速の杖 (Haste Wand) - Inflicts Haste (permanent on enemies, 10 turns on Momiji).
- 吹き飛ばしの杖 (Knock Flying Wand) - Knocks the target backwards (travels full distance in one turn and takes 5 damage).
- 場所替えの杖 (Place Exchange Wand) - Switches the position of Momiji and the enemy.
- 火柱の杖 (Flame Pillar Wand) - Creates Flame Pillars, but not like a normal Wand. When Waved, it fires a projectile that only travels 5 spaces. On those five spaces, it will create Flame Pillars. It will create a Flame Pillar beneath PC-98 Alice. When thrown, it creates a single Flame Pillar beneath the enemy and automatically causes damage.
The most diverse kind of item, spellcards from all the Windows characters. They appear as purple cards. Instead of being a named technique, Spellcards are simply identified by the character it represents, and a cost (i.e. 文の符 is an Aya spellcard with a cost of 12). Spellcards can be Invoked, Thrown, Dropped, Swapped, Pasted, and Picked Up. Thrown spellcards do a mere 2 damage.
Invoking a Spellcard consumes a turn and an amount of Spirit Power equal to its cost. It then creates an effect dependent on the Spellcard in question, and destroys the card in the process. Instead of Invoking the Spellcard, however, Momiji can Paste the Spellcard onto a Sword or Shield. This consumes Spirit Power from the item instead, but creates a special passive effect when Equipped with the item. If the same character's card is Pasted to both a Sword and a Shield, and both are Equipped, Momiji gains a third effect, called a Resonance Effect. These are generally extra powers granted beyond the normal effects of the Sword and Shield. The exception to these are Alice, Patchouli, Flandre, Suika, Nitori, and Suwako. These cards are invisible, do not cost Spirit Power on the item Pasted to, cannot be Soaked when Pasted, and do not have Resonance Effects. For all intents and purposes, they are destroyed after they perform their respective effect.
All cards have a base cost, either 1x, 2x, or 3x. The actual cost of an individual card substitutes 0-9 for x. So, a card with 1x base cost means the cost is anywhere between 10 and 19.
There are 39 Spellcards as of version 0.90b. Here are their effects as currently tested
|Japanese||English||ID||Cost||Invoke Effect||Sword Effect||Shield Effect||Resonance Effect|
|文の符||Aya||文||1x||Puts Momiji in Haste for 20 turns.||Equipping the Sword doesn't take a turn.||Equipping the Shield doesn't take a turn.||Improves effects of Tengu Herb (天狗草). As of version 0.90b, this appears to have no effect anymore.|
|アリスの符||Alice||(none)||2x||Inflicts all adjacent enemies with Puppet for 30 turns.||Increases Sword Spirit Power by 3/4 of its cost. Also removes the Cursed status.||Increases Shield Spirit Power by 1/4 of its cost. Also removes the Cursed status.||No effect.|
|うどんげの符||Udonge (Reisen)||鈴||1x||Inflicts all enemies in the room with Lunatic for 30 turns.||May inflict Lunatic for 10 turns on melee attack.||Momiji is immune to Lunatic.||When eating Wild Herb (暴草), Momiji gains Lunatic Red Eyes and inflicts Lunatic on the entire room for 30 turns.|
|映姫の符||Sikieiki||映||3x||For the duration of the floor, all damage that enemies deal to Momiji is also returned to them at full strength.||May inflict Seal permanently on melee attack.||Momiji returns 1/3 of all damage that she takes.||Momiji's counter is increased to 2/3 of damage.|
|永琳の符||Eirin||永||2x||Performs emergency help, performing up to two of five effects. It goes down the following list in order: Paralyzes all adjacent enemies if surrounded by at least 2 enemies, fully heals Momiji's HP if HP is less than full, restores status conditions if Momiji has any, fills the Hunger Gauge by 50 points if it is less than 20, and removes Cursed or Soaked status from all items if any items are Cursed or Soaked.||Removes conditions on enemies with melee attacks. This is the same as throwing a Panacea (万能草) at the enemy.||Special effects (healing, status) from eating herbs do not occur, though the Spirit Power and Hunger recovery is kept. Additionally, provides immunity to Eirin's special attack.||Spellcards can be Invoked free of cost.|
|輝夜の符||Kaguya||輝||1x||All effects currently on enemies on the floor are made permanent in duration. The effects can still be dispelled by means other than time.||May inflict Curse of Eternity for 30 turns on melee attack.||Extends the durations of effects Momiji causes on enemies by 3 turns.||The Curse of Eternity of Momiji's melee attack triggers 100% of the time.|
|神奈子の符||Kanako||神||1x||Warps all enemies in the current Room away from Momiji.||May knock enemies away (same effect as 吹き飛ばしの杖) on melee attack.||Momiji is immune to knockback and warp effects.||May knock enemies away with Momiji's Shot.|
|慧音の符||Keine||慧||1x||Identifies an item.||Spellcards only cost half as much when Invoked.||Experience gain is increased from defeating enemies.||Momiji is immune to level drain|
|小町の符||Komachi||小||1x||Momiji falls asleep for 5 turns but fully regains her HP and Spirit Power on the first turn||May swap positions with an enemy (same effect as 場所替えの杖) on melee attack.||Momiji rapidly recovers HP and Spirit Power when she is put to sleep.||Always swaps positions with an enemy with Momiji's Shot.|
|咲夜の符||Sakuya||咲||3x||Stops time for 5 turns. In effect, Momiji can make 5 actions before the turn advances. However, Sakuya is unaffected by this, so she will also act in accordance with her current speed.||Melee attacks cannot miss.||Doubles Momiji's evasion against melee attacks from 1/16 to 1/8. Additionally, when evading, Momiji teleports behind the enemy.||Momiji recovers 4 Spirit Power if her Shot hits an enemy. This is the same amount of Spirit Power as it takes to Shoot in the first place, so it basically off-sets the cost if you hit.|
|早苗の符||Sanae||早||2x||Restores the status of all items carried by Momiji.||Momiji recovers 2 HP when hitting with a melee attack.||Momiji recovers 2 HP when hit by an attack.||Momiji recovers about 1.5 HP every turn. This is in addition to the 1% per turn she normally gets.|
|静葉の符||Shizuha||静||2x||Turns one item into a random herb.||When killing an enemy, there is a 1/16 chance she will drop an herb.||Spirit Power recovery from herbs is increased from 10 to 20.||(Unconfirmed effect)|
|萃香の符||Suika||(none)||3x||Creates a Monster House in the current room, or warps Momiji to a room and makes it a Monster House if she is in a corridor. Momiji gets the next action.||Same as casting, except the enemies get the drop on Momiji.||Same as casting, except the enemies get the drop on Momiji.||No effect.|
|諏訪子の符||Suwako||(none)||2x||All of Momiji's carried cards are Soaked.||Earliest 4 cards pasted on the sword fall off and are Soaked.||Earliest 4 cards pasted on the shield fall off and are Soaked.||No effect.|
|橙の符||Chen||橙||1x||Momiji makes two melee attacks immediately.||Momiji may make a second attack when she makes a melee attack.||Momiji is teleported right next to the enemy when she hits with a Shot. This is part of her Shot action, so the rest of the turn progresses as normal. If the Shot kills the enemy, Momiji will not warp.||Momiji will teleport to the wall if her Shot hits a wall.|
|チルノの符||Cirno||氷||1x||Inflicts all adjacent enemies with Paralyze for 20 turns.||May inflict Paralyze for 10 turns with a melee attack.||Momiji is immune to Paralyze.||When attacking a Paralyzed enemy with a melee attack, Momiji might do a massive blow for 999 damage.|
|てゐの符||Tewi||ゐ||3x||Adds more traps to the current floor.||Enemies are able to trigger traps now.||Momiji is less likely to trigger hidden traps, doubling her evasion from 1/8 to 1/4.||Momiji can visibly see traps on the floor. This does not uncover them, though, so the map does not indicate them nor will they be visible once Momiji loses this effect.|
|にとりの符||Nitori||(none)||1x||Makes one item Soaked. It has no effect if used on any item that is not a Spellcard.||Earliest card pasted on the sword falls off and is Soaked.||Earliest card pasted on the shield falls off and is Soaked.||No effect.|
|パチュリーの符||Patchouli||(none)||2x||Identifies any Wand, and adds 2 charges to it.||Increases Sword Spirit Power by 1/4 of its cost. It also removes the Cursed property, if any.||Increases Shield Spirit Power by 3/4 of its cost. It also removes the Cursed property, if any.||No effect.|
|雛の符||Hina||雛||1x||Makes on item Cursed, or removes the Cursed property if it already has it.||Greatly increases damage if the Sword is Cursed.||Momiji's equipment is immune to being Cursed or Soaked.||Greatly increases defense if the Shield is Cursed.|
|フランの符||Flandre||(none)||2x||Momiji gains Lunatic and Power Up for 50 turns.||Increases Sword Strength by 1/7 of its cost. It also removes the Cursed property, if any.||Increases Shield Strength by 1/10 of its cost. It also removes the Cursed property, if any.||No effect.|
|紅美鈴の符||Meiling||美||2x||Knocks away all adjacent enemies (same effect as 吹き飛ばしの杖).||Momiji recovers 2 Spirit Power when hitting with a Melee attack.||Momiji's recovery of Spirit Power is increased, from roughly 1 per 8 turns to 1 per 6.||If Momiji eats a Spirit Herb (霊草), she gains Power Up for 30 turns.|
|魔理沙の符||Marisa||魔||3x||Copies any Spellcard. The new Spellcard has the cost of the Marisa card used.||Increases the damage of Momiji's Shot.||Changes Momiji's Shot into a laser. This goes through walls and enemies and has infinite range.||If Momiji attempts to Wave an empty Wand, instead of wasting a turn doing nothing, she breaks the Wand. This costs four times as much Spirit Power and destroys the Wand, but has the same effect as Waving the Wand normally.|
|ミスティアの符||Mystia||雀||1x||Inflicts all enemies in the room with Blind for 24 turns.||May inflict Blind for 24 turns with melee attacks.||Momiji's evasion increases when Blind.||Momiji is immune to Blind.|
|穣子の符||Minoriko||穣||2x||Turns selected item into a Riceball (おにぎり).||When killing an enemy, there is a 1/16 chance she will drop a riceball.||Hunger drops half as quickly, from 1 per 10 turns to 1 per 20 turns.||(Unconfirmed effect - Listed in-game as "より飯を落とす")|
|メディスンの符||Medicine||毒||2x||Inflicts adjacent enemies with Poison and Power Down for 30 turns, and Slow permanently.||When poisoned, Momiji's melee attack does greatly increased damage. Additionally, Momiji is not slowed from eating Suzuran (鈴蘭草).||When poisoned, Momiji does not lose HP per round, and instead her recovery rate is boosted from 1% per turn to 10% per turn. Additionally, Momiji is not slowed from eating Suzuran (鈴蘭草).||When eating Suzuran (鈴蘭草), the poison effect will last longer than normal.|
|メルランの符||Merlin||躁||2x||Inflicts Momiji and all enemies in the room with Confuse for 20 turns.||May inflict Confuse for 5 turns on a melee attack.||When Momiji takes damage from anything, there is a 1/8 chance she will take Lunatic status.||May inflict Confuse for 5 turns with Momiji's Shot.|
|妹紅の符||Mokou||藤||3x||Destroys selected item completely.||If Momiji is killed, the sword is destroyed instead and Momiji is revived with full health. If Momiji is holding both a Mokou Sword and a Mokou Shield, the Sword is destroyed, not the Shield.||If Momiji is killed, the shield is destroyed instead and Momiji is revived with full health.||When revived, Momiji's Spirit Power is also refilled.|
|幽香の符||Yuka||花||2x||Inflicts all enemies in the room with Bind for 50 turns.||When melee attacking an opponent suffering from a status ailment (except for Haste, Slow, Power Up, and Bind), Momiji does great amounts of damage.||May inflict Bind with Momiji's Shot.||Increases the success rate of Momiji's Shot inflicting Bind.|
|幽々子の符||Yuyuko||幽||3x||Instantly kills enemies in the room.||May perform a Death Attack when using a melee attack. This automatically kills any enemy except for Yuyuko, Kaguya, Eirin, and Mokou. In those cases, the attack simply does nothing, not even damage.||Doubles the rate at which Momiji gets hungry, from 1 per 10 turns to 1 per 5.||There is a chance, every turn, that a random enemy in the same room as Momiji will be struck dead instantly. Like the Sword effect, this has no effect on Yuyuko, Kaguya, Eirin, and Mokou. Completely no effect, actually, as if they are in Restless Sleep, they will not be woken up by this effect.|
|妖夢の符||Youmu||妖||2x||Performs the equivalent of an automatic hit melee attack with the current Sword's Strength on all enemies in the room. Does not apply special effects on the Sword to this attack.||Melee attack ignores walls. This allows Momiji to attack around corners, as well as hit Yuyuko when she is in a wall.||Changes how the Shield works. It provides a hugely improved defense, but each hit Momiji takes reduces the Shield's Strength by 2. Once the Shield hits negative Strength, it is destroyed. This does not reduce damage from fixed damage effects, but those will reduce the Shield's Strength.||Increases the amount of reduction to damage from the Youmu Shield. Until Yukari, most attacks will do only 1 damage.|
|藍の符||Ran||藍||1x||Warps Momiji to a different room, or to a room if she is in a corridor.||When Momiji warps into a room, she creates a shockwave that hits the entire room. All enemies take damage as if hit by a melee attack.||When Momiji takes damage, there is a chance she will be warped to safety.||Increases the rate of warping.|
|リグルの符||Wriggle||蛍||1x||Lights up the entire floor. This provides map visibility for the entire map and all enemies on the map, even ones generated after the fact. It also counters the normal darkness of corridors, as well as Rumia's ability.||No effect.||No effect.||Increases the Light around Momiji, from a 3x3 square to a 5x5 square.|
|リリカの符||Lyrica||騒||1x||Wakes up all sleeping enemies on the current floor.||Automatically wakes up sleeping enemies with melee attacks.||Momiji is immune to Sleep.||Increases the rate at which Merlin and Lunasa card abilities trigger.|
|ルナサの符||Lunasa||欝||2x||Inflicts all enemies in the room with Slow permanently.||May inflict Slow permanently with melee attacks.||Momiji is immune to Slow, Haste, and Super Haste.||May inflict Slow permanently with Momiji's Shot.|
|ルーミアの符||Rumia||闇||1x||Walking on the current floor does not awaken enemies with Restless Sleep.||Momiji may not automatically wake up an enemy with Restless Sleep with melee attacks.||If Momiji is blind, the map will show the positions of all enemies on the current floor.||Reduces the chance of enemies with Restless Sleep to wake up.|
|霊夢の符||Reimu||霊||3x||Inflicts all enemies in the floor with Seal permanently.||Momiji's Shot cannot miss enemies.||Doubles Momiji's evasion against ranged attacks from 1/8 to 1/4.||Allows Momiji to evade automatic hit attacks, such as the Bazooka from Flower Tank and Evil Eye Sigma.|
|レティの符||Letty||冬||2x||Inflicts all enemies in the room with Sleep for 10 turns.||May inflict Sleep for 3 turns on a melee attack.||Momiji takes 5 less damage from certain fixed damage effects. This includes Flame Pillars (20), Landmines (half HP), the Flower Tank's Bazooka (10), and Evil Eye Sigma's Bazooka (20). It does not include knockback such as from Kanako (5), or Reimu's Onmyoudo (20).||May inflict Paralyze for 20 rounds with Momiji's Shot.|
|レミリアの符||Remilia||紅||3x||Creates a huge cross pattern of Flame Pillars around Momiji. It extends 5 spaces in the cardinal directions, and is 3 spaces wide. Think of marble solitaire. Momiji's standing spot is not a Flame Pillar.||May create a Flame Pillar beneath the enemy with a melee attack.||Momiji is immune to Flame Pillars. In addition, she takes half damage from certain fixed damage effects. These are the same as Letty's, with the exception that Reimu's Onmyoudo is also halved.||The damage that Flame Pillars cause is boosted from 20 damage to 30 damage.|
- Return to Momiji and the Mysterious Cave